Sunday, April 20, 2014

Maleny Mountain Wines and Manely Cheese - Maleny, Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Queensland



Maleny Mountain Wines
While visiting my daughter and grandchildren in Mooloolah Valley I visited the Maleny Mountain Wines. This unusual Barrel shaped winery and cellar door is perched high in the hills but unfortunately there is no view with the cellar door facing onto the main road. I wasn’t here for the view but for a glass or two of the fine liquid - wine. I started with their unwood chardonnay. Most wooded chardonnays are too crisp and acidy for me and a lightly wood or unwood is more to my liking. This chardy was way too soft and really had none of the characters I would expect from a basically crisp wine.

My second glass was the sparkling white. Most champagne style whites have good acid and a refreshing finish but this sparkly (again) was too soft and had none of the bite I would have normally expected. Without being sexist I have found most ladies like their wines on the sweet, soft side. Both of these may appeal therefore but for me I felt there was just no character in either of the wines I tasted.  I wanted more and though I enjoyed my “sip” I wanted more on the lip.

What I am pleased with is two of the jams my wife selected. There are many other products at this winery to choose from so pay it a visit. Also there is a nice cafe – “The Mouse and Belle” on the grounds. Try their coffee and cake or go for something savoury. Both times we ate here it was very good.

Maleny Cheese
If in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland region (Maleny) you must visit Maleny Cheese shop and cafe. Most of the cheese is made on the premises and you can watch all this happening. What makes this cheese shop so special? Try buffalo milk cheese and other buffalo milk products, a triple cream brie, a cheese or feta with a huge variety of flavours; chilli, herbs etc. There are many other products for sale and tasting and a cafe for coffee or tea. Make this a must and try their huge variety of dairy delights. I did and loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment