Monday, October 21, 2013

InterContinental Melbourne Rialto - Melbourne City



The InterContinental Melbourne Rialto is a grand old building and is located toward the Spencer Street end of Collins Street. I was attending and Audio Visual show for 2013, in this fine establishment and how better to kick-off the day but with lunch. To make it easy I decided to dine at the InterContinental  (Alluvial Restaurant) with another Melbourne Audio Club member. Lunch was ordered and so was the red.

When the Feathertop wine came to the table I noted it labelled 2010. The wine list had it down as a 2009. On questioning wait staff I was told there was no 2009 remaining (maybe the wine list should be updated). Much later that evening I ordered a different red and noted it listed as a 2010. When the bottle arrived it was labelled 2012. Again I was informed there was no 2010 remaining. Not what I would expect from a hotel complex carrying the Rialto name.

Now to the food. I ordered a meat dish of two different meats.  I knew there would be little else on the plate other than small portions of meat so a side of “hand cut” potato wedges was ordered and some English mustard (a combo I have grown to love and even better Wasabi and chips). One portion of meat is what would be described as a “medallion”. If the meat medallion was placed on a 50 cent piece you would still be able to see the perimeter of the 50 cent piece. Fortunately the second meat was larger. Both meats were gorgeous and perfectly prepared. By the lime I finished the wedges (I felt over-cooked) I was satisfied. Off the show we go.

The (old Menzies) InterContinental is a beautiful old hotel and to be able to sit in the atrium area looking up at the towering rooms above you and to the sky is a lovely experience. Staff is first class and friendly whether you are at a table for a meal or the bar for drinks.  Wine is very, very pricey and there is only Crown larger on tap. I’m sure there many different beers in the fridge but hard to beat an array of local and international beers on tap. My experience at the table and bar will not stop me going back but I think management staff needs a shake-up. At least update the wine list!

No comments:

Post a Comment