Friday, July 13, 2012

Charlotte (home cooking) – Beaumaris - Victoria


This blog is generally comments about restaurants, mainly local to the Mornington Peninsula but also interstate and international.  I have, in the past, covered some wines and whisky.  This time I highlight the fact that the best restaurants in the world can be humbled by good home cooking.  Of course we don’t just go to restaurants for the food it is more the pleasure of escape, being pampered, temped and teased and often talking a walk on the naughty side of life.  Forget the waste line and wallet! Maybe crab chowder with expensive champagne sat at a romantic corner table in well regarded Melbourne eatery. This may give you relief from the daily grind and/or demanding kids.  A few hundred dollars? Well worth it.

I have often commented to my wife, an excellent cook even on a bad day, that I would gladly pay good money for one of her meals when dinning out. But why when I can enjoy them at home? An invitation for dinner prepared by my favourite niece, Charlotte, had my wife and I in the car and heading for Beaumaris. Charlotte’s cooking prowess is legendary right from any early age and now just nineteen she cooks well beyond her years. A natural talent true enough but one that has been nurtured by the parents Mark and Mere’, both good cooks.

So what’s for dinner tonight? Lamb Shanks in a rich sauce with a vegetable ratatouille, creamed potato mash and string beans.  Both my wife and I would not normally eat lamb shanks but a meal offer with extended family is hard to turn down and whatever is served will be delicious. And it was. The meat fell away from the bone, the sauces were rich but not over powering and the ratatouille was a perfect complement to the juicy, meaty shanks.  A home cooked meal, prepared by Miss Charlotte, at its best and enjoyed with family and a red or two.  I don’t get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment