Thursday, April 21, 2011

Crown Promenade - Melbourne

I have stayed at the Crown Promenade on a number of occasions and have always found it a great experience at a reasonable price. What I call reasonable and you call reasonable may vary immensely. It is definitely affordable at $375.00 a night including the best breakfast you will ever have and valet parking.

Situated at the beginning of Whiteman Street just a few minutes’ walk from South Bank you may not be on the strip but you are so close you can smell it. Rooms are spacious and extremely well appointed. No you don’t get the marble bath in the basic rooms as you do in Crown towers but the bathroom is more than big enough and well appointed. No there is no TV over the bath as in Crown Towers but there is a big screen TV at the foot of the bed.

I arrived just after 12pm on my last stay and was asked if a room with a bay view from the 12th floor was suitable. And if it was I could move in right away. BAY VIEW ON THE 12TH FLOOR. Yes thank you. Generally check-in is from 2pm but if a room is ready from 12pm on, it’s yours. Late check-out at 11am. Check-in was quick and painless and right from the moment I arrived in the car the staff were out to please. Yes I’m paying for it but the staff are serious about good service. But in a fun way.

I ventured into Melbourne for lunch and had a delightful meal (scallop risotto and a house white) in Hardware Lane with my son. Then back to the room to bask in the tranquillity and opulence. I have to admit I’m a would-be-if-I-could-be-but I-can’t-be although I can enjoy the Promenade. To avoid the sting of the Promenade’s costly wines from the mini-bar I selected a very nice red from a bottle shop near the bottom of Queens Street. A red, a shower and a read on a king size bed with 180 degree bay views. Love’n it.

Of course there are the usual shampoos and soaps but a small tube of tooth paste would have been nice. Plenty of towels, a well stocked mini-bar a stunning view of the bay and city and all the mod-cons. It just needs you to make the stay perfect and perfect it was.

Due to rain I ate at the Mesh Restaurant in the Promenade. I almost need another blog entry to describe what I ate, how good it was and how much I ate (guilty). The floor manager came over on a few occasions to ask if I needed anything. They do care. Breakfast had me back in the Mesh Restaurant for some more gastronomic indulgence. Service, food, wine, ambiance, class, distinction, location-the Crown Promenade has it all. Spoil yourself and do it often and make sure you feel guilty when you leave the restaurant. With all you can eat and an extensive choice of beautiful food, I did both times. Guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment