Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bowmore and Grouse - Whisky

I love me whisky but 'tend to drink what I can afford. In the past I have had a dram or two of the Tullamore Dew and Bushmills Black Bush. But for everyday sipping The Famous Grouse at $38 a bottle suites my taste and budget. Occasionally Ballantines drops to closer to the $30 mark and though I prefere the Grouse, it is another whisky I can enjoy. With Tullamore Dew and Bushmills I find a bit too much spirit though they are both an excellent whisk(e)y.

Then we have Bowmore Single Malt Scotch. The Grouse has a light bouquet and is not heavy on spirit and more gentle on the stomach than spirited single malt Irish etc. Bowmore is all about nose. Open the bottle in a room and most people and within a few minutes will all identify the "smell". But when Bowmore's hits the lip you know why many go for the single malts. They are distinct and heavy. Bowmore use an Islay (eye-la) malt which I think gives this whisky its nose and rich taste. According to the Web site the Islay malts are renowned for their peaty/smokey flavour. This is a very serious whisky but not at a very serious price. About $65 should get you a dram or two or even 700ml.

Laphroaig at $90 a 700ml bottle was the first whisky I had enjoyed which yielded this heavy bouquet. Again Laphroaig comes from the Islay region (Scotland) and uses the local malts. At $90 and a little hard to get, give me the Bowmore's. Very similar in overall tastes and a big difference in price. But for day-2-day "whisky after work" the Grouse for me is a no brainer. If you drink enough whisky no brainers come easy. Get drunk in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment